RiotMinds forum

Officiellt forum för Trudvang, Drakar och Demoner & Götterdämerung. Official forum for Trudvang Chronicles

Rules

New master: random questions

Rules forum for TC. All discussions regarding rules and questions should be asked here.

by Giovanni » 02 Mar 2019, 11:24

Hi all,
the game look wonderful but also not so simple....
some very basic question:
1) How many weapon action has a character? (i think 2)
2) How the WA of the weapon used affect this value? (For example a character with a weapon with WA 3 can use 2 or 3 weapon actions? )
3) What are the benefit of use a shield instead of parry with a weapon?
Giovanni

by Råttfångaren » 02 Mar 2019, 18:46

Hi!
The number of weapon actions that a character can perform is determined by the weapon used. So if a sword has 3 weapon actions it means that the character can perform a total of 3 weapon actions with the sword (2 attacks and 1 parry for example). Thus smaller weapons like daggers can often be used with a higher frequency than heavier weapons. The character doesn't have a maximum amount of WA in itself, it is rather limited by the weapon and number of combat points that the character has.
There are a couple of advantages of using a shield.
1: as stated in the books shields are cheaper and thus it is better to have them be damaged when parrying than blocking with and thus damaging your weapon.
2: Specializing in the shield means you get potentially more combat points that can be used for parrying so that you won't waste the combat points tied to your weapon.
3: You can use your off-hand without penalties as opposed to the rather daunting -15 modification you receive (unless you spend a lot of points in the ambidextrous specialization)
4: you get a higher total of weapon actions since the shield has its own weapon actions.

Hope this helps!
Råttfångaren

by Giovanni » 03 Mar 2019, 09:10

Yes it helps: thank you.

Some tactic related questions:
* how important is the parry action? For example in rolemaster is very important to parry: here the tactic "never parry, Full CP to attacks" is rewarding or can lead you to death?
* How many goblin for an encounter with a party of 5 300 points characters? There are others Trolls i can use?
Giovanni

by Råttfångaren » 03 Mar 2019, 16:04

Unless you have good armor I would say that parrying is very important. Of course there are many situations when it may be better to go all in with the attacks to deal more damage, however most character will regain body points very slowly and the negative modifiers from injuries can be pretty nasty so even smaller injuries can lead to attrition and eventual death. If a character is facing huge opponents like hrimtrolls or lindwurms it's absolutely critical to parry their attacks since they can kill you in one hit if you're unlucky.
About the goblins I would say use as many as you want depending on what you want to do. Goblins are so weak that they're not that interesting to meet in combat unless there are loads of them and even then a vintner weaver could quite easily kill most of them with one spell.
Råttfångaren

by Giovanni » 03 Mar 2019, 20:26

Thanks: since goblin are so weak i will use other, stronger trolls.
Combat looks like a very complex affair with lot variables to consider.
If you have a link to a combat guide or want to share some advice you are more than welcome.
Any help is appreciated since I have very combat oriented players and I want the first adventure have some memorable combat moment.
Giovanni

by Råttfångaren » 03 Mar 2019, 23:34

I personally like to play less combat oriented but having played this type of combat system for about 10 years I can give a few suggestions on making it roll smother.
First and foremost, tell the players to be prepared with sample attacks and parries (like those listed with all monsters in the bestiary) there is room for these on the 2nd side of the character sheet. If anyone is playing a weaver or a dimwalker, tell them to prep their spells and invocations before its their turn. If the players prepare what they want to do before their turn it saves a lot of time. I also find that combat is more fun when there are lots of different thing happening --> fighting 2 grey trolls on flat ground when everyone stands still = not that interesting, fighting 2 grey trolls while 2 forest trolls fire projectiles at the players from a ledge or tree branch = a lot more fun since there are several things to do an more than one way to do them. Also while I did say that a horde of goblins could easily be killed by a vintner weaver, that doesn't have to be a bad thing, managing to trap a bunch of enemies in one place and then to finish them off with one spell would feel pretty rewarding I think. Lastly I would say that the most memorable combat situations are those in which the character stand a considerable risk of losing, it doesn't have to be their lives either but could be the life of an important npc, treasure or something that they want to protect. Fighting a battle that you know you will win can often, at least for me, feel pointless (which is why I usually remove any combat situation that won't be challenging for the players or doesn't serve a narrative purpose).

again hope this helps, otherwise I link this videoguide on the combat system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdcXyXHH7s8&t=857s
Råttfångaren

by Råttfångaren » 03 Mar 2019, 23:38

Oh and also I've added the homebrew rule that rolling a perfect hit (1) in combat means you roll double damage, however if you fumble (20) your enemy gets to deal damage (normal) to you without having to spend combat points. This goes for both the npc:s and the players. This has made combat significantly faster for my group.
Råttfångaren

by AleD » 04 Mar 2019, 16:01

Råttfångaren wrote:Oh and also I've added the homebrew rule that rolling a perfect hit (1) in combat means you roll double damage, however if you fumble (20) your enemy gets to deal damage (normal) to you without having to spend combat points. This goes for both the npc:s and the players. This has made combat significantly faster for my group.

This is a nice home rule!
AleD

by AleD » 08 Mar 2019, 15:57

Råttfångaren wrote:Oh and also I've added the homebrew rule that rolling a perfect hit (1) in combat means you roll double damage, however if you fumble (20) your enemy gets to deal damage (normal) to you without having to spend combat points. This goes for both the npc:s and the players. This has made combat significantly faster for my group.

Actually an alternative for the perfect 1 hit, could be not a double damage but a roll 2d10 and get the highest value...
AleD

Return to Rules