RiotMinds forum

Officiellt forum för Trudvang, Drakar och Demoner & Götterdämerung. Official forum for Trudvang Chronicles

Produkter och Releaser / Products and Releases

Trudvang Chronicles - Feedback

by Jarlhen » 21 Feb 2016, 14:29

I'll do this in English just in case. Also, I apologize for the length. And if I sound hostile in any way it's absolutely not my intention, so sorry if that's the case as well!

Trudvang is my favorite RPG, all categories. I love it. So I don't think I need to go into all the things that's done right, just assume it's awesome.

However, there is one pretty significant thing I feel isn't working with Trudvang Chronicles. The online service. Now don't get me wrong, it looks nice, I understand the point, there are some great tools in there. But I would never use it to run a game. And for an international audience it will almost certainly not work as many if not most other RPGs simply release a PDF and/or books as opposed to forcing you to run your games through a special service.

As far as roleplaying the way it should be done, face-to-face, it's not the end of the world. Get a couple of tablets, print some character sheets, fine. But for online roleplaying it is, in my opinion, difficult to use.

I play through Roll20 and there are several other such services available, used by thousands of players. The landscape has changed and is changing, a lot of people aren't able to meet-up but can now play online. And there are a few things that are necessary for such a system to work.

* There has to be voice AND video support.
* It has to be possible to make interactive maps
* It has to be easy to navigate and use.
* Tables and such cannot be anchored still but has to be movable.
* The entire interface needs to be light-weight.

Roll20 does this very well, despite its spartan look. To my knowledge the Trudvang system doesn't really do any of these things. Add to that that every player has to buy the product in order to join a session, it's a massive obstacle.

As I see it there are two ways to handle this:
Take some serious inspiration from other sites and rethink the whole online service. It would involve, I suspect, a very large amount of work. I'm not even sure if it's an option and would probably take quite a long time seeing that our beloved Riotminds isn't exactly a massive company with tons of employees and resources.

The other option is to make it easier for gamers to use other services. Allow for a complete download of the products you've purchased. Have proper character sheets you can edit on your computer rather than have to print. Truth is a simple PDF with a proper layout and navigatable table of contents is easier than the current system. It's not that the current system is terrible, it just feel unnecessarily clumsy. It feels heavy and fiddly rather than letting me just quickly scroll to where I need to go. It just feels a bit unnecessary. I think some of the tools, like the hunting and traveling calculator, are fantastic.

I know our group won't be using it. Instead I'm going to have to figure out a way to get away from the online service. I'm also pretty sure it will turn potential customers off quite significantly. Of course you can run an online game in say Roll20 for all the actual play and then use the Riotminds service for character sheets and stuff. But it feels unnecessarily complicated to have to do so.

Of course, I'm saying all this from the view of a consumer. I'm sure much thought and effort have gone into the online system and I'm sure the reasoning behind it is excellent. But I also know that every single person I've shown this game, and I've been showing it to people since before it was in English, took an instant dislike to the online system. Even my standard Swedish group that I've been playing with for 15 years, that own every product Riotminds have released, that have played every RPG they've released, that hold Riotminds and Trudvang in the absolute highest esteem, all dislike the online system a great deal.

I'm begging you to make everything available for people who purchased it through a simpler system. A PDF and a DM tools suite is all that's needed. And perhaps long-term see about overhauling the online system. And for the record, if the prices have to go up a little then I don't think anyone minds. I think most RPG systems tend to go for more than 24 euro anyhow.

Finally a big thank you for the translation though. Once I've figured out how to make it work more practically we'll be playing the hell out of it. From what I've read the translation is awesome!
Jarlhen

by Theo » 21 Feb 2016, 15:31

Hi Jarlhen,
thanks for for fast and prompt feedback.

Totally agree with you that there are other systems that work better should you want to play totally remote and online. Having said that, the digital suit is not first and foremost designed to use that way, but rather as a digital tool to replacing the books and the character sheets when sitting together at a table, playing. Should you want to dismiss the tools and the sheets totally that works too, then you just use the information like it's a book. Print out the sheets and play with pen-and-paper using the digital service as a "pdf".

We too love books but it just don't make financial sense for us to print all these books. The investment and distribution doing that for an international market is just too big. However, there is a printing function in the service so you should be able to print everything out should you wish (no pics though).

Anyhow, enjoy what ever you can and thanks for trying :)
Cheers
Theo@riotminds
Theo

by Jarlhen » 21 Feb 2016, 16:38

Hey Theo, thanks for replying! Trudvang has the single best production values of any RPG ever made! The illustrations are absolutely astonishing. With this in mind, I think I'm more specifically asking for an ability to download the whole book into a PDF with pictures and all. As if it was a regular book scanned onto the computer. And ideally character sheets that can be filled out on the computer as well rather than through the online service.

I absolutely understand the decision not to publish physical books (as much as it saddens me). But I know an offline PDF would be quite popular. And it's pretty common with other RPGs you buy online as well. I'm not going to keep pestering you guys about it though! We'll make it work one way or another so that all my players are happy. I'll be damned if these foreigners won't love Trudvang as much as I do by the end of it!
Jarlhen

by Theo » 21 Feb 2016, 16:48

Hehe, don't worry about pestering. All feedback is good of course. We do have some thoughts about a pure pdf version and also a fully printed version, hard bound with slip case in dragon skin..., we just need to sort out the logistics + the financials ;) You never know!

/Theo
Theo

by Splinterbox » 19 Apr 2016, 00:29

Hi, I am happy to see Trudvang Chronicles in english and I really hope to see a printed version soon. It is a wonderful world with a rich european influence and fantastic art, well done.

I have tried out the online tools for character creation and there are a few parts that do not work yet:

CHARACTERS

STEP 2 - TRAITS
DEXTERITY
- 4 +60 THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND

STEP 3 - BELONGING
HUMAN THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
ELVES THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
DWARVES THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
HALF ELF THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
HALF TROLL THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
DWARF TROLL THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
ZORDA DEAD LINK

ARCHETYPE THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND

EIKA DEAD LINK
FUTHARK DEAD LINK
RONA DEAD LINK
VROK DEAD LINK
WILDVROK DEAD LINK

VITNERCRAFT THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
HVITALJA YOU HAVE NOT PURCHASED THE REQUESTED GAME
MORKVITALJA YOU HAVE NOT PURCHASED THE REQUESTED GAME
VAAGRITALJA YOU HAVE NOT PURCHASED THE REQUESTED GAME
RELIGION YOU HAVE NOT PURCHASED THE REQUESTED GAME
GERBANIS YOU HAVE NOT PURCHASED THE REQUESTED GAME
THE TENET OF NID YOU HAVE NOT PURCHASED THE REQUESTED GAME
THE EALD TRADITION THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
HAMINGES THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
THUULDOM THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
TOIKALOKKE YOU HAVE NOT PURCHASED THE REQUESTED GAME

STEP 5 - SECONDARY SKILLS
AGE THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
HEIGHT THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
WEIGHT THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
WEAPON HAND THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
RAUD THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
MOBILITY THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
PERSISTENCE IN WILD THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND

GAME MASTER CHARACTERS

STEP 1 - THE GAME MASTER CHARACTER
CREATION POINTS THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
KIND OF CREATURE YOU HAVE NOT PURCHASED THE REQUESTED GAME

STEP 3 - BELONGING
HUMAN THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
ELVES THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
DWARVES THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
HALF ELF THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
HALF TROLL THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
DWARF TROLL THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
• ZORDA DEAD LINK

ARCHETYPE THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND

EIKA DEAD LINK
FUTHARK DEAD LINK
RONA DEAD LINK
VROK DEAD LINK
WILDVROK DEAD LINK

VITNERCRAFT YOU HAVE NOT PURCHASED THE REQUESTED GAME
HVITALJA YOU HAVE NOT PURCHASED THE REQUESTED GAME
MORKVITALJA YOU HAVE NOT PURCHASED THE REQUESTED GAME
VAAGRITALJA YOU HAVE NOT PURCHASED THE REQUESTED GAME

RELIGION YOU HAVE NOT PURCHASED THE REQUESTED GAME
GERBANIS YOU HAVE NOT PURCHASED THE REQUESTED GAME
THE TENET OF NID YOU HAVE NOT PURCHASED THE REQUESTED GAME
THE EALD TRADITION THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
HAMINGES THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
THUULDOM THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
TOIKALOKKE YOU HAVE NOT PURCHASED THE REQUESTED GAME

STEP 5 - SECONDARY ATTRIBUTES
AGE THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
HEIGHT THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
WEIGHT THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
WEAPON HAND THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
RAUD THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
MOBILITY THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
PERSISTENCE IN WILD THE REQUESTED PAGE WAS NOT FOUND
Splinterbox

by Magnus » 19 Apr 2016, 08:17

Thanks for the info..
I send it to the programmers!

Problem solved!

/M
Magnus
Allsmäktig

by Angus » 06 Jun 2016, 20:44

Hi, :)
First of all, congratulations on this grand endeavor of translating Trudvang for it is no small task and for that I'm really grateful I enjoy the world of Trudvang very much, and second I don't want to sound rude or anything like that, but the Stormlands book really, really needs an edit, the text is plagued with grammatical and orthographical errors as well as inconsistencies in what the text describes. While it doesn't make the text completely unintelligible, it really, really hampers one's reading.

If you need any help with it I can share what I've seen on the text so far, just let me know!
Angus

by SiggeX » 07 Jun 2016, 08:48

Theo wrote:Hi Jarlhen,
thanks for for fast and prompt feedback.

Totally agree with you that there are other systems that work better should you want to play totally remote and online. Having said that, the digital suit is not first and foremost designed to use that way, but rather as a digital tool to replacing the books and the character sheets when sitting together at a table, playing. Should you want to dismiss the tools and the sheets totally that works too, then you just use the information like it's a book. Print out the sheets and play with pen-and-paper using the digital service as a "pdf".

We too love books but it just don't make financial sense for us to print all these books. The investment and distribution doing that for an international market is just too big. However, there is a printing function in the service so you should be able to print everything out should you wish (no pics though).

Anyhow, enjoy what ever you can and thanks for trying :)
Cheers
Theo@riotminds

Hi!

I bought the Swedish version like a year ago, me and some friends was going to play this way, onlineservices as "pdf" and printed papers. Don't know if this was a one time thing but all my friends gathered at my place and the online service went down while we were playing.

Now we are back playing the DoD6R/E again because i have all the books and a internetconnection / site problem cant ruin everything like that. This problem would also be solved if you could have a downloadable pdf.

Just have to say that i love Trudvang and all the books Riotminds have printed. But the online service is simply to "clumsy" to use for me. Please pdf please! Then i could persuade everyone to give it a shot again.

Best regards
SiggeX
Last edited by SiggeX on 20 Jun 2016, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force”
SiggeX

by Falconer » 18 Jun 2016, 19:32

"Add to that that every player has to buy the product in order to join a session, it's a massive obstacle."

This, Ohh god this. Who in their right mind tought this was a good idea. You would never require everybody ata table to buy the rulebook to be able to play. It just completely ruins the entire online feature.

Join us in the 21st century and just realease a pdf already.
Falconer

by Tharngoth » 23 Feb 2017, 16:18

Maybe it is because I was too happy of the release (I really love Trudvang's setting :D ), and I did not read all about the online service, but I am a bit disappointed that we cannot download a pdf version of the books after paying 24$USD.

I personnaly use my Ipad reader to read the rules of a book before starting to play, and often I read offline, bringing my tablet everywhere. The online service is not as user friendly to read, and need to be online.

If I had known this, I personnaly would have waited before buying it. :|

and to quote Falconer:
Falconer wrote: ...
This, Ohh god this. Who in their right mind tought this was a good idea. You would never require everybody ata table to buy the rulebook to be able to play. It just completely ruins the entire online feature.

I agree soooooo much to this! I play RPG with my 2 sons which are 11-12, and are speaking french, not useful at all for them...

So for now I'm gonna have to stick do D&D 5E and will see how this will be developped, but I am really disapponited of the service. hope this will be adressed soon...

**Sorry for any spelling mistakes, I am french Canadian** :)
Tharngoth

Return to Produkter och Releaser / Products and Releases