RiotMinds forum

Officiellt forum för Trudvang, Drakar och Demoner & Götterdämerung. Official forum for Trudvang Chronicles

Rules

Rules in short

Rules forum for TC. All discussions regarding rules and questions should be asked here.

by Thorgarth » 27 Sep 2016, 21:29

One other aspect that would be interesting to analyze is the balance between damage and the soaking values derived from the armor. Is armor actually a relevant factor that may negate entirely a decent strike or can just mitigate, at best, some hits. Meaning, what´s the soaking value of the heaviest armors?
Thorgarth

by Splinterbox » 27 Sep 2016, 22:44

Plate armour has the highest Protection Value at 10.

The highest damage bonus from a character's strength is +4 and the minimum from strength is -4. I don't think there are any other damage modifiers for characters to increase the damage. A character will always get a minimum of 1 damage regardless of any modifiers.
Splinterbox

by Thorgarth » 27 Sep 2016, 22:52

That seems to be a good soaking value considering how weapons work, contrary to what we are seeing in some recent cases, where armor ain´t that relevant. Just a minor consideration in the overall mechanics...e.g. long bow at extreme range ALWAYS penetrating a plate armor no matter how low the roll (due to very high static damage component added to the dice roll). ;)
Thorgarth

by Thorgarth » 28 Sep 2016, 02:46

But back to weapon damage mechanics. We know that size imposes a differentiation in damage by changing the number needed to get another die, the Open Die mechanism, so that a small weapon does 1d10 (OR 10) and a medium size weapon does 1d10 (OR 9-10).

But what differentiate a medium size weapon type, say broadsword, from another medium size, say Axe, from a Mace, etc? Are they treated as if no difference existed (talking about relevant mechanical differences/parameters)?
Thorgarth

by Splinterbox » 28 Sep 2016, 06:38

Weapon differences within the same group are the initiative modifier and protection value.
Splinterbox

by Thorgarth » 28 Sep 2016, 11:16

Hope this parameters are relevant, significant and well balanced so as to avoid having weapons that, by no logical reason at all, don´t make sense from a mechanical point of view, and thus would hardly even be chosen... Are the max. number of times they can be used to attack per round also the same or they differentiate also by that factor?

Also, a question that I think was raised but not answered, this # number of attacks limit apply just to attacks or attacks and parries, meaning that a weapon with max. # 2 can attack 2 and parry another 2 or 2 is the max combination of such actions (e.g. 1 attack and 1 parry, or 2 attacks or 2 parries)?
Thorgarth

by ziox » 28 Sep 2016, 14:24

bigsteveuk wrote:Firstly that was really useful thanks :)

Secondly
Thorgarth
Fighting: 7 SV
- Armed Fighting 2: +2 SV
- - One-Handed Heavy Weapons 3: +6 SV
- - Shield Bearer 2: +4 SV
- Battle Experience 2: +2 SV
- - Fighter 2: +4 SV

Bit confused but if you add up all the SV's it comes to 25, is this how you get to the CP total?
Total CP: 19
Broad sword 6 (I assumes this is based on One-Handed Heavy Weapons 3: +6 SV)
Shield 4 (Shield Bearer 2: +4 SV);
Free 9 (Fighting: 7 SV & Battle Experience 2: +2 SV)

But what about
Armed Fighting 2: +2 SV
Fighter 2: +4

I could be failing to understand the system!!!

Thirdly
Does the BV drop by 1 every time the armour takes more damage than it can absorb?

Lastly
How many actions could you take with a broadsword and shield?

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks!

Yeah, I rewrote some passages and forgot to change the totals, sorry. It should be 25. As a rule of thumb Disciplines give you +1 SV per level and Specialities give you +2 SV per level.

Yes BV decreases by 1 everytime the armor or item takes more damage than it has PV. PV is always one tenth of BV, so from BV 41-50 it has 5 PV, but if it decreases to 40 BV the PV decreases to 4. Making armor values spiral down as it gets more broken.

Broadsword 3 actions, shield 2 actions. So a total of 5, but you still need to distribute CP to those actions.
Spelleder: Game of Trudvang
ziox

by ziox » 28 Sep 2016, 14:29

Thorgarth wrote:One other aspect that would be interesting to analyze is the balance between damage and the soaking values derived from the armor. Is armor actually a relevant factor that may negate entirely a decent strike or can just mitigate, at best, some hits. Meaning, what´s the soaking value of the heaviest armors?

The highest soaking value is 10, Plate armor: PV/BV 10/100.
Any armor is really good since it will always soak some damage. A Chain mail has 5 PV so that's ~50 % of all hits that are fully soaked.

Trust me that armor is super useful even if you just have Leather with 2 PV, since it takes long to heal damage. [Source: 9 years of GMing Trudvang].
ziox

by ziox » 28 Sep 2016, 14:35

Thorgarth wrote:Hope this parameters are relevant, significant and well balanced so as to avoid having weapons that, by no logical reason at all, don´t make sense from a mechanical point of view, and thus would hardly even be chosen... Are the max. number of times they can be used to attack per round also the same or they differentiate also by that factor?

Also, a question that I think was raised but not answered, this # number of attacks limit apply just to attacks or attacks and parries, meaning that a weapon with max. # 2 can attack 2 and parry another 2 or 2 is the max combination of such actions (e.g. 1 attack and 1 parry, or 2 attacks or 2 parries)?

Mostly, at least in the current system the difference is between the Size of the weapon and not within the category. It's mostly a point of what looks cool on my character and what feels right, it's mostly aesthetics.

Weapon Actions define how many times you can use the weapon each round, either for attacks or parries. So with WP of 2 you could have: 2 attacks, 2 parries or 1 attack & 1 parry.
ziox

by Thorgarth » 28 Sep 2016, 15:06

ziox wrote:
Mostly, at least in the current system the difference is between the Size of the weapon and not within the category. It's mostly a point of what looks cool on my character and what feels right, it's mostly aesthetics.

Guess I have to house rule it then... not tremendously difficult at that, and will do so modifying the damage of each weapons within a size group according to the armor in the target...e.g. broadsword +1 vs targets up to X armor, Picks or Warhammers +1 vs targets with armor from X. etc. Will have to know the system much better though to tinkle with it, BUT will have to differentiate the weapons damage wise, that´s for sure.
Thorgarth

PreviousNext

Return to Rules