RiotMinds forum

Officiellt forum för Trudvang, Drakar och Demoner & Götterdämerung. Official forum for Trudvang Chronicles

Rules

Rules in short

Rules forum for TC. All discussions regarding rules and questions should be asked here.

by ziox » 28 Sep 2016, 15:14

Thorgarth wrote:Guess I have to house rule it then... not tremendously difficult at that, and will do so modifying the damage of each weapons within a size group according to the armor in the target...e.g. broadsword +1 vs targets up to X armor, Picks or Warhammers +1 vs targets with armor from X. etc. Will have to know the system much better though to tinkle with it, BUT will have to differentiate the weapons damage wise, that´s for sure.

For the Swedish older version there was a supplement with detailed rules for different weapons. However in my group we often forgot the extra rules or deemed it to clunky. I can see if I have the time to dig the book up, and give you some examples.
Spelleder: Game of Trudvang
ziox

by Splinterbox » 28 Sep 2016, 16:27

If you look at the chances of a critical hit as fractions instead of % they seem better:

Light 1 in 10
Heavy 1 in 5
2 Handed 1 in 3

:)
Last edited by Splinterbox on 29 Sep 2016, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.
Splinterbox

by Thorgarth » 28 Sep 2016, 21:05

ziox wrote:
For the Swedish older version there was a supplement with detailed rules for different weapons. However in my group we often forgot the extra rules or deemed it to clunky. I can see if I have the time to dig the book up, and give you some examples.

That would be just awesome Ziox.
Thorgarth

by Thorgarth » 28 Sep 2016, 22:06

Also something that would be nice to have a better understanding regards Professions/archetypes.

Is Trudvang a truelly classless system, with this archetypes serving only as guidelines in terms of character creation, OR this professions are indeed relevant through out the game and with interactions and limits imposed by and on the system?

And while we are at it, how does this new edition of Trudging compare in terms of complexity with previous editions? For instance, it seems that this edition doesn´t have hit-locations. Has this been so in the past also OR in previous editions there were hit-locations, and if so was there HP pools for each locations or it served only to determine what area was hit, especially to take into consideration the location armor?
Thorgarth

by Splinterbox » 29 Sep 2016, 01:16

Hi Ziox,

Are you able to edit the CP values of the combat example in your original post? I think it will be a big help to a lot of people in the future.
Splinterbox

by ilsundal » 02 Oct 2016, 12:25

First, a huge congratz on your highly successful kickstarter! Needless to say, I am a backer also :)

I have read this rules thread with interest. The rules look really good.

I have two comments:

1) I agree with the earlier comment about the weapon damage. If you do the calculations, you'll see that the avg damage for each of the three weapon categories (light, medium, heavy) is as follows:

Light : 5.5 + 0,1 * 5.5 + 0.1^2 * 5.5 + 0.1^3 * 5.5 +... ~= 6.1
Medium: 5.5 + 0,2 * 5.5 + 0.2^2 * 5.5 + 0.2^3 * 5.5 +... ~= 6.9
Heavy: 5.5 + 0,3 * 5.5 + 0.3^2 * 5.5 + 0.3^3 * 5.5 +... ~= 7.8

I find the avg damage diff to be too small between the three weapon categories. Fortunately, it can be easily changed with a suitable house-rule, e.g. by increasing the OR range and/or adding a constant and/or using a different die. I would probably choose to just increase the OR range for medium and heavy weapons to 8-10 and 6-10, respectively. This would put heavy weapons at an avg of ~11.5 damage, which would be more to my liking. After all, a two-handed battleaxe does deliver significantly more damage than a dagger. A dagger is still dangerous, though, and the OR 10 makes it so.

2) I would prefer a greater variety in BP among characters. As described above, humans have a fixed value of 32 BP, modified only by Strength (as I understand it?), yielding 28 for the weakest possible human (Strength -4), and 36 for the strongest possible human (Strength +4). Again, this is easily changed in a house-rule, e.g. multiplying the Strength modifier by some value. I would probably choose a multiplier of 5, so that e.g. a human with Strength +2 would have 32+5x2=42 BP and one with Strength -2 would have 32+5x(-2)=22. A dramatic difference, yes, but so is their Strength..

Cheers!
ilsundal

by Magnus » 02 Oct 2016, 21:44

Thanks ilsundal!
And thanks for backing us!

Regarding weapon damage, its of course up to you to modify with house rules. But I can assure you it is quite deadly as it is :-)

Regarding BP.. The character trait Constitution also gives (+/-) 1, 2 or 4
So with full strength and full constitution the character gets 40BP.

Regards
Magnus
Magnus
Allsmäktig

by Thorgarth » 04 Oct 2016, 11:59

ilsundal wrote:1) I agree with the earlier comment about the weapon damage. If you do the calculations, you'll see that the avg damage for each of the three weapon categories (light, medium, heavy) is as follows:

Light : 5.5 + 0,1 * 5.5 + 0.1^2 * 5.5 + 0.1^3 * 5.5 +... ~= 6.1
Medium: 5.5 + 0,2 * 5.5 + 0.2^2 * 5.5 + 0.2^3 * 5.5 +... ~= 6.9
Heavy: 5.5 + 0,3 * 5.5 + 0.3^2 * 5.5 + 0.3^3 * 5.5 +... ~= 7.8

I find the avg damage diff to be too small between the three weapon categories. Fortunately, it can be easily changed with a suitable house-rule, e.g. by increasing the OR range and/or adding a constant and/or using a different die. I would probably choose to just increase the OR range for medium and heavy weapons to 8-10 and 6-10, respectively. This would put heavy weapons at an avg of ~11.5 damage, which would be more to my liking. After all, a two-handed battleaxe does deliver significantly more damage than a dagger. A dagger is still dangerous, though, and the OR 10 makes it so.

Couldn´t agree more... Mu thoughts were also on adding a constant/static bonus on a weapon by weapon rate or altering the the OR number, which the variations mirroring yours.

Unlike what Magnus said, for me it´s not a matter of the system being lethal as it is, is a matter of logic and consistency. A two-handed, heavy, bladed weapon has the potential for more lethal damage, period. It´s not as if a dagger can´t kill you, because it should be able to do it, it´s just that it´s far easier to get that job done by swinging a more powerful weapon.
Thorgarth

by doofstructor » 05 Oct 2016, 02:13

I agree with Islundal and Thorgarth....the logical progression of small/medium/large weaponry, from a damage perspective, seems a bit off in the rules as written. I like the suggestion of a 10, 8-10, and 6-10 breakdown for those as it is simple and pretty darn effective at making sense (to me).
doofstructor

by Mayor » 10 Oct 2016, 11:14

The logical, at least to me, concerning weapon damage is that it is not so much the weapon, rather the one handling it, that makes it dangerous. A two-handed sword in the hands of, for example Me, is probably not as dangerous as a dagger in the hands of someone who is adept at handling it. The logical thing would be to have specializations/skills that increase the OR when handling a certain kind of weapon. This would mean, that a two-handed sword in the hands of a great fighter of course is more dangerous than a dagger in the hands of an equal adept fighter, but if the “dagger-guy” is a great fighter and the ” two-handed-sword-guy” is an amateur, the dagger is much more dangerous. There is specialization like this in earlier versions of Drakar och Demoner, but for some reason daggers are not included, it only applies to medium or large weapons, which is a bit illogical I think.
Mayor

Previous

Return to Rules