RiotMinds forum

Officiellt forum för Trudvang, Drakar och Demoner & Götterdämerung. Official forum for Trudvang Chronicles

Rules

Noob on dualwielding

Rules forum for TC. All discussions regarding rules and questions should be asked here.

by Masterdecoy » 25 Oct 2018, 10:03

Hey all,

Trying to get my head around the benefits of wielding a weapon in the off hand.
as I see it you get nothing really from having a weapon in the off hand,

Lets say you wield a 1h heavy weapon in the right hand, and a shield in the other, you spend CP on both the attacks and parries, just the same as if you had a weapon in the off hand,

I cant see how the -15 to SV is really the factor that should limit off hand weapon, rather its the CP. you are allowed to make 3 attacks with main hand anyway, so the chance to hit is really low already, when splitting your CP on 3 attacks, and then you havent even begun to parry yet....

is there any thing Im missing? do you gain aditional CP from dualwielding?

thx.
Masterdecoy

by AleD » 26 Oct 2018, 08:28

Hi Masterdecoy!
TIE and Kaeam in a previous post (http://forum.riotminds.se/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=604&p=1989&hilit=fighting#p1980) discussed pros and cons of double weapon fighting.
It may have some (super EP expensive) benefits in dealing a lot of damage or two super-accurate attacks. It is much less effective than using a shield for having extra parring (that makes sense)... As for other abilities (e.g. evade), it is quite useless at the beginning and becomes more effective once you spend a lot of points in that.
I would like to see a character fighting with this style in my group... A berserker with two axes, for example, would be of great visual impact and perfectly in line with the culture in Trudvang.
AleD

by Masterdecoy » 26 Oct 2018, 09:56

Thanks alot, missed that one post.

As I see it the only real benefit comes with fighting big guys, as you get +x to hit the bigger they are.

I think it wouldnt hurt to ad a house rule to add a little CP, say +1 or even +2 pr. lvl of ambidex.
considering the massive investment in EP it costs.
Masterdecoy

by Garra » 04 Nov 2018, 12:28

Masterdecoy wrote:Thanks alot, missed that one post.

As I see it the only real benefit comes with fighting big guys, as you get +x to hit the bigger they are.

I think it wouldnt hurt to ad a house rule to add a little CP, say +1 or even +2 pr. lvl of ambidex.
considering the massive investment in EP it costs.

I myself isn't much of a fan of the this fantasy trope(as it isn't really a feasable fighting style) so I haven't really thought of correcting this in my own campaign before.

With that said, I suggest to houserule it like this without having to track extra CP and all that:
* Lower the offhand penalty to -5.
*Have the Ambidetxterity discipline reduce the penalty by increments of 1 instead of 2.

In this way, it would cost the same amount (166XP) to go full lvl5 two-handed fighting, but on the other hand (hehe) only cost a total of 76 XP purchase Amb. lvl 3(Agility 7,Body control 1) and have a -2 modifier to your offhand (which I find quite reasonable).

The key to make two-handed weapon fighting "worth it" in Trudvang is to purchase enough CP so the character is capable of making 4 decent attacks with a 1-handed heavy weapons, as you can only attack/parry 3 times with the same 1hhw. Up to that point, the fighting style is worse that commiting to one weapon. After you've able to attack 4 times, you will always have a slightly better chance of higher damage.
Garra

Return to Rules