RiotMinds forum

Officiellt forum för Trudvang, Drakar och Demoner & Götterdämerung. Official forum for Trudvang Chronicles

Rules

Question about Movement in Combat

Rules forum for TC. All discussions regarding rules and questions should be asked here.

by YuriPRIME » 09 Aug 2018, 15:48

Hello there, good people. I've recently bought Trudvang and am thoroughly loving it. I had some rules questions though.
Maybe you folk can answer this question for me, and it's about movement in combat, but with low Fighting skill... From what I understand Action Points are based on your Fighting skill, which give you Free Points. You move at a rate of 1m per 2 Action Points...

But what about people who, let's say, have just 1 level in Fighting and didn't bother to develop the skill. Just asking in theory, cause it is puzzling. Would that mean they have just 1 action point? Being able to move only 1 meter per 5 second round of combat? That doesn't really make sense to me. Is there some other mean of movement?
Am I missing something? Is there some rules that I glossed over and didn't catch correctly?

A person can move within his or her speed outside of combat just fine, doing whatever meters you get on even ground, but the moment combat starts you would move at snail's pace? I mean, even my elderly grandmother does more meters per 5 seconds.

What in a case a character isn't really skilled in combat, but in a combat encounter declares: "I run as fast as I can to the nearrest cover!"
Am I supposed to ignore that and say: Sorry, but you have only 2 points in Fighting, meaning you can only move 1 meter?
That seems a bit absurd. I would guess that the combat movement with points spent on meters moved is somewhat tied to actual fighting, like getting into the combat distance and exchanging blows... but then we are said that any movement outside off combatant's threat zone(reach of a weapon?) is gives opportunity action, even if it's a retreat action. So, are there any other forms of movement beside 'spending action points' on them?
If yes, what are the rules? And is there a reason to bother with spending points to move in the first place?
If no, how you handle the bit absurd situations?
YuriPRIME

by Garra » 09 Aug 2018, 21:58

You are correct, this is not really written out clearly in the current ruleset, but you spend combat points for combat movement, that is when you're acting in combat. I have interpeted the rules as this: during combat, you can move your full movement, but not be able to take a combat or weapon action.

I'm using these house rules, which are with slight modification the movement rules from the first Trudvang edition from 2000/2003:
* Full movement: your character can move up to your total movement, but not take any other action.
*Half movement: your character can move half your total movement and take any action other that weapon actions, but with a -4 modification.
*Combat movement: Regular movement, using combat points.
Garra

by YuriPRIME » 09 Aug 2018, 22:58

Thank you a lot. That clears a bit, I was just curious about how exactly would that work.
So, to recap:

In the turn the player decides whether his characters moves using combat movement with points, or just normal movement.

1. The choice of normal movement would imply, you can move up to your full capacity in meters, BUT can't take combat actions for the duration of that turn...
    Example would be: a dweller running full speed for cover.
  2. The choice of combat movement, spending action points, implies you can move up to your movement allowence in meters, but paying 2 AP per meter moved, the bonus is you can spend the rest of your action points for attacks, parries and other fancy maneuvers?

If so, that actually makes a lot of sense :) It's like keeping the stance and even footing to fight properly
So, a followup question, if that's how it goes, then how would charge work? If players declare to rush into action and hit the enemy, they'd have to spend combat actions normally? But that kinda means a charge would be a really slow ordeal, for something that boils down to rushing in and hitting the enemy? Not that I have anything against it, I can totally see why you'd like to mitigate a rather strange notion that charge would always provide some bonus in 1 on 1 combat. I believe it has sprung from formation warfare back when D&D and wargaming set those rules in motion... Some time ago in my fav. edition of Mutant Chronicles (2'nd edition <3) there was actually a penalty to hit with a charge, the obvious explanation being that the advantage is not a hit bonus, but rather getting to your opponent quickly, in that system you were rightly at disadvantage with to-hit modifiers, because running meant you had poor stance, you were shambling towards the enemy, with little to no balance, something very easy to exploit.
So I can see a reason behind it with which I actually agree.
However the question arises how it would work in Trudvang mechanics if one would declare a charge (which is typical for heroic fellas I believe :P - I have a Mittlander dimwalker in my group, he aches to rise his sword and just go balls out into combat!) According to those mechanics, to close the distance and attack he'd have to use combat points over entire round? Or if he didn't - he'd have to close in the distance and then wait for another round to actually use the attacks?
YuriPRIME

by Garra » 10 Aug 2018, 10:33

Well, I think I agree that the supposed benefit of a charge is to get to someone quickly. And for someone to be able to charge effectively, he need to be somewhat proficient in combat.

Let's say a character has around 15-20CP, and can spend 8-10CP to move, that gives him or her the possibility to charge 4-5 meters(15 feet) and send of a half decent attack in the same turn, which i think feel kind of appropriate. The attack is penalised in that it's not terribly accurate because of the rushed nature of it, but if the defender hasn't drawn his sword he can't parry that turn without taking damage.

And if you want to "charge" for a longer distance in the way you described, splitting the charge into two turns, into a running at least 10 meter turn up to the target, and the attacking him in the next, does simulate the fact that you've been running noisily with a drawn weapon towards the target for around 10 seconds, giving him time to draw his weapon and prepare to defend.
But that's just my thoughts on it!
Garra

Return to Rules