RiotMinds forum

Officiellt forum för Trudvang, Drakar och Demoner & Götterdämerung. Official forum for Trudvang Chronicles

Rules

Evade skill

Rules forum for TC. All discussions regarding rules and questions should be asked here.

by AleD » 22 Oct 2018, 11:00

Garra wrote:
AleD wrote:I'm currently DMing a campaign in Trudvang.
We decided to consider the evade skill as an alternative to a parry...Each attack received by the character can be either parried OR evaded. The character can, in the same round, use his/her weapon actions. Otherwise, the skill will result extremely useless for any fighter and does not pay for the experience points used in that. Is it overpowered? Maybe a bit for super-high-experienced characters, but the alternative is that it is almost useless for any averaged character fairly balanced in different skills. What do you think?

To clarify, a fighter in your game can evade an attack just by rolling Evade Sv and not have to use any CP? It does sound slightly on the op side, as it frees up a looot of CP if you never have have to parry, and just always use up all your CP into attacks.

had a witner weaver in my game use evade as a substitute to putting a lot of exp in Fighting, as I made the decision to house-rule/squint my eyes while reading the swedish ruleset to allow players to use evade, and perform combat actions in the same round that are not weapon actions. That allows a spellcaster to evade before or after his turn if the spell takes 1 turn to cast.

That's true. It will start to be a great advantage later in the game. But at the beginning, a fighter that invests a lot of points in fighting skills can't have high dexterity skills. Moreover, the evade skill, without proper investing is almost useless considering the intrinsic malus given by the "how much the attacker succeed"... It is extremely costly (in terms of experience) to have both parry and evading working "efficiently" (which is fine, I think). Another point is that if you don't allow the fighter to use evade and attack, that skill results almost useless: if he/she is very fast and attacks then he/she is supposed to not be allowed to evade at all.

There are two possible ways (which I see) to mitigate the overpowered evade ability later in the game (when the fighter has a lot of points and you allow to use both attacks/parries and evading).

The first one is to allow the character to evade using CP up to his evade skill value. It looks as having another parry but is not exactly the same.
The second could be to use a "subtraction" role again: if you succeed in evading, you subtract the roll to your CP pool... That, however, creates some problems: a new layer of math and... what if you evade after attacking (when you have spent all your CP)?

To conclude... I think we will discuss it again at the next session :lol: :D
AleD

by AleD » 23 Oct 2018, 09:17

Oh, another alternative solution:

The evade skill has his own set of points, disentangled from those of the fighting, that can be used as those of fighting... So at maximum level, 25 points, you can evade 4 times but you have to split these points (like 10,5,5,5), each time with the malus given by the opponents hit-roll... What do you think?
AleD

by Garra » 04 Nov 2018, 12:51

AleD wrote:Oh, another alternative solution:

The evade skill has his own set of points, disentangled from those of the fighting, that can be used as those of fighting... So at maximum level, 25 points, you can evade 4 times but you have to split these points (like 10,5,5,5), each time with the malus given by the opponents hit-roll... What do you think?

That is actually how it works in the current swedish online version, which is slightly different from the english. one. Your current SV for Evade is your pool of "Evading CP" for that round.

It should probably work, and isn't really that more crunch. Might use it myself!
Garra

by Garra » 04 Nov 2018, 12:57

Though I would possibly give the evader some kind of penalty for attacking after a evade(or maybe not being able to attack if evading twice or more) to simulate that they just flung themselves out of harm's way and need to find good footing.
Garra

by AleD » 03 Dec 2018, 23:16

Garra wrote:Though I would possibly give the evader some kind of penalty for attacking after a evade(or maybe not being able to attack if evading twice or more) to simulate that they just flung themselves out of harm's way and need to find good footing.

That is also a good idea... It should be tested a bit but it can work...
Tack tack
AleD

Previous

Return to Rules