RiotMinds forum

Officiellt forum för Trudvang, Drakar och Demoner & Götterdämerung. Official forum for Trudvang Chronicles

Rules

Races and multiple opponents

Rules forum for TC. All discussions regarding rules and questions should be asked here.

by EinBein » 10 Dec 2017, 17:57

Dear community

After finally receiving the PDF copies of the very successful Kickstarter and having a first check of the contents, I couldn't help missing a few things that I may have grown used to in other systems. From the rules perspective, these would for example be things like:

1. Effects of race pick: Is there ANY difference between different race picks except background, starting body points and movement, age, height and weight of character as well as possible choice of magic schools? I'm thinking along the lines of different starting traits or special abilities for some of the more exotic races (okay, I saw that dwarves can see better in the dark, but how about size bonus for Gray Brutes or something like that?).

2. Fighting multiple opponents: From pictures, fluff texts and bestiary, I got the impression that it wouldn't be unusual for a character to face multiple foes at once (for example players vs forest trolls or dragons vs players). I didn't find any rules text related to the proper handling of this. I just assume that there are no special rules for these instances and you just follow the initiative count down and everyone acts more or less independent (the only limiting factor for someone outnumbered being the number of weapon actions and dice allocatable to parries).

Hope someone understands and can explain, because I'm at a loss of words on how to say it more clearly what I feel is missing.

Many thanks in advance!
Tim.
EinBein

by Storm » 17 Dec 2017, 14:45

Hi Tim!

You are right on both questions. Races do not have major rules distinctions in form of bonuses or additional traits. It has been part of past editions every now and then and might be added again later on through a rules compendium. For now the main difference lies in a storytelling factor. Trudvang, despite it‘s detailed rules in other parts of the game, high stresses the story and doesn‘t aim at emulating every aspect of the game world with a rule. So this approach places a lot of freedom into players hands and especially into a GMs responsibility.

As for the fight it more or less stands as said. You are not in a simulation like rules set that makes heavy use of miniatures and tactical movement on a combat map. Therefore there are few things like ‚outnumbered‘, ‚cornered‘, ‚attacks of opportunity‘ ec. But as said above some more special stuff might be added in a later set of optional rules. For the time being a more basic approach leaves way more opportunities to narrate through scenes and let a GM decide on special bonuses ec.

Hope this gives you a little insight. Trudvang might be very different from games you have played before. We highly recommend giving it a shot as written before trying to house rule it or even comparing it to other games. You might be surprised on how well it works....

If you have any other questions, please feel free to post them here!

Best, Kai
Storm

by EinBein » 24 Dec 2017, 20:36

Thanks for the response!

I like the rules being relatively light, the basic principles are reminding of The Dark Eye / Das Schwarze Auge (d20 rolling under, active attack and parry, etc.), the most popular German system, while at the same time being much easier in handling.

The only thing I miss a bit is world-specific rules. Like the travelling rules of The One Ring for example. The travelling rules of Trudvang feel a bit too simplistic for a game that is so much focused on wilderness adventures.
EinBein

by Storm » 02 Jan 2018, 12:25

I can see your point. For many years I have been an avid DSA gamer myself, being friends with authors and illustrators of the game, until I finally couldn’t stand it anymore and gave up with 5th edition.
It’s always a walk on a fine line going into detailed rules. You never know when you cross this line for some gamers, or most of them, or are still fine in putting in more details. DSA is way more detailed, for sure, but it became an unwieldy monster in the process, for casual gamers. TOR has some really nice stuff but also the sterile feel of a board game with rather strategic decisions removed from actual play. It can work but appeal to a completely different type of players than some other games.
One thing is sure - we haven’t seen all of Trudvang yet. Either in form of a rules companion or some options in the worldbooks, there is more to come. The past KS only set the foundation on which we are going to build now. Further details for travel and „nature as your adversary“ might be amongst those options.
Storm

by EinBein » 02 Jan 2018, 20:26

Thanks for the reply Storm, we have also turned our backs on DSA some three or four years ago and favor indie systems with creative approaches.

Just to clarify: What I meant with "world-specific rules" does not affect the grade of detail of the ruleset in question. Just the way they are tailored towards a specific experience.

In my opinion, the rules can have a major influence on the immersion into a specific game world, just by providing creative ways of how to link the fiction and the formal processes at the game table.

Look at Blades in the Dark for example. You could say the rules are bord game-y as well (like TOR's, I mean) but they support a very specific type of fiction: Gang of scoundrels working their way up in a sandbox gloompunk-city. The rules blend perfectly with this style of fiction.

One of my biggest issues with systems like DSA, D&D and - I have to admit to some extend - Trudvang is, that they feel more or less generic. The thing that roots them into a specific game world is the system how magic and prayers work. All the rest of the rules could be used in any other generic fantasy world. Aye, progression speed and limits are different, the grade of realism is different, but these are all not related to the specific world. They "just" convey a basic feeling of the power of the heroes in relation to the rest of the world.

Without any intend to critisize Trudvang too much before even playing it, I would have wished to see a ruleset that feels tailored to the gorgeous wilderness look-and-feel of the world and to trolls and fairy creatures.
EinBein

by Storm » 03 Jan 2018, 16:53

Now I see...and, well, yes, I think you are right to a considerable extent. But it stands to see how generic even the background is. So far all of us have a very specific vision fostered by the evocative art and the first two adventures. But the follow up products will have to cement this vision or might dissolve it...we will see.

As for the
Storm

by EinBein » 03 Jan 2018, 20:52

Stopped typing mid-sentence?

Anyways yes, background and art are amazing. I specifically love the fact that there is no real go-to western European race of men, but all more or less exotic people with alien rites and looks. Makes it one-of-a-kind and intriguing, if not a bit frightening... Helps to conveys the mild horror theme.

I even acquired two of the printed art books during my last year's stays in Sweden ahead of the shipping of the RPG books, just to dive into these gorgeous paintings already.
EinBein

Return to Rules